Indians love watching films. Unsurprising, because they are exposed to the world’s most prolific movie-making industry, bigger than even Hollywood.
So many productions in so many languages hit theaters every year and audiences are always spoiled for choice.
2016 saw some fascinating patterns emerge in movie-viewing habits of Indians.
Here are some as observed by the country’s largest movie-ticketing service, BookMyShow.
1. Sunday was the most popular day for movie outings.
2. And 7 p.m. shows, the most watched.
3. Mondays were the most preferred days after weekends.
Well, they did!
4. Regional cinema continued its march, Tamil blockbuster ‘Kabali’ being the most sold movie.
5. Meanwhile, Marathi film ‘Natasamrat’ was the most-rated release.
6. Megastar Salman Khan’s ‘Sultan’ was the most-rated trailer.
7. But, Hollywood caper ‘Jungle Book’ surged ahead in collections, becoming the most sold movie.
8. Biopics and real-life stories made up 5 out of 6 most-sold movies.
You can view the BookMyShow year-roundup here.